September 27, 2009

Tall Boys

Two different base prototypes for an upcoming project. I'm trying out a few different designs and constructions techniques before I start on the final build of 8 pieces.

September 25, 2009

Boats

A couple of the custom sailboat parts I made over the summer. The tiller was carved from a solid piece of mahogany, the windows are a tinted lexan. I am currently working on a transom support and railings for this craft, as well as another set of windows for a much larger vessel.

September 22, 2009

Cornices

Just finished building these for a friends nursery. They're wicked girly.

Buy Art

Last week I set up one of the trees to help display the window paintings in a newer Pawtucket gallery. I had to shave a few inches off of the upper branches, but eventually got it to fit. I really like the the way the wood looked against the gray wall, and ended up taking a few pictures. One of which I submitted to Providence's "Buy Art" campaign.

The city is choosing 5 images to be used in this year's button campaign. The buttons are sold at various retail shops as part of "a city-wide advocacy initiative that spurs us all to actively participate in the Providence Arts Scene." In addition to the exposure, winners also receive a generous stipend, which would almost cover the amount I've paid in parking tickets over the past few years.

September 21, 2009

Shameless Self Promotion

Congratulations to Providence Art Windows, which was picked the best of public art in the latest Rhode Island Monthly poll. Included with the article was a picture of our recent window.

"If there's one upside to downtown Providence's vacant shop windows, it's that Providence Art Windows has filled many of them with paintings, installations and sculpture. Works are changed up three times a year, with each show featuring ten pieces by local and national artists. The display (mostly contained to Washington and Westminster streets) is free and open to the public twenty-four-seven, so there's really no excuse not to check it out. That is, of course, if you can manage to score a parking spot in Downcity."


Also, The local newspaper in Lincoln, IL did a great story on the "Funk's Grove" movie. I'll have some better scans soon now that I have an actual copy (Thanks Tara!) I should mention that the farm where we stayed/filmed was hit by a tornado a few days after we left. No one was hurt, but the large barn which housed several props/sets was completely destroyed.

September 6, 2009

Consolation Prizes

So I didn't win a lifetime supply of notebooks, but I did get a few great things from the good people at Moleskine Asia. The exhibition looked awesome, taking place at several locations. My piece was shown at the City'super! Harbour City. Unfortunately, even after sending written instructions and drawings, my entry was still displayed improperly. I'm told it was eventually fixed, but for now I'll just use that as my excuse for not winning.

The Exactra 20

I picked up this 1974 Texas Instruments calculator at a thrift store in Indianapolis for under a dollar. Curious to see if it was worth anything, I did some research, and learned some interesting information about the piece.

While building the props for the original Star Wars movie, the art department frequently scavenged parts from existing technology. The seven LEDs in the Exactra's display were used in the creation of Luke's first lightsaber.

The Exactra 20 and its predecessor the Exactra 19 were the only two calculators produced with this 7 LED array. As a result, the calculators are in high demand with enthusiasts and reproduction prop builders. This one will most likely end up on E-bay soon.

Harold

I recently drove out to Illinois to work on a film my friend wrote and directed. Jill and I served as Art Department, making props and dressing sets among other things. "Harold" was one of the props I built while there to mimic an actual human body under canvas. Working with a very limited budget, I was able to put together the entire rig for under one hundred dollars. The bulk of the cost went to the purchase of a fiberglass mannequin which I used for the base. An elastic material was used throughout the interior of the body to create realistic movement.

We also got to make fake blood!