October 20, 2010

Salon Chair

A few months ago I picked up this salon hair dryer from an estate sale shop. After years of use, it was in pretty bad shape, but still worked. For the price, I couldn't pass it up. Knowing absolutely nothing about upholstery, I decided to completely renovate the piece.

The torn and dirty fabric was the first thing to be replaced. I found a few yards of bright purple vinyl at a local store and set to work cutting, stretching and stapling. The cushions were also replaced with new foam, making the chair much more comfortable. I had the piping custom made at a local shop, who also gave me some much needed advice. The white furniture nails serve both a practical and aesthetic purpose, securing the side panels to the frame.

The blower assembly and dials were completely rebuilt and rewired. All of the exposed metal was then painted flat gray. Through some creative taping and masking I was able to save the original foil stickers and dials.

Luckily, the original dome was not cracked, and cleaned up well. However, the arm rests were in bad shape and needed to be replaced. Using the originals as a template, I created a new set from red oak and finished them with a natural stain.

The chair is for sale, so feel free to email me for details. In the mean time, I've lent it out to the girls from Providence Pin-Up who recently used it in a shoot.


No comments: